1997 New York Yankees season
Template:MLB yearly infobox
The New York Yankees' 1997 season was the 95th season for the Yankees. New York was managed by Joe Torre and played at Yankee Stadium. The team finished with a record of 96-66 finishing 2 games behind of the Baltimore Orioles in the American League East. They entered the postseason as the American League Wild Card, but lost the Division Series in 5 games to the Cleveland Indians.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 ALDS
- 5 Awards and records
- 6 Farm system
- 7 References
- 8 External links
- October 2, 1996: Pat Listach was sent by the New York Yankees to the Milwaukee Brewers to complete an earlier deal made on August 23, 1996. The New York Yankees sent Bob Wickman and Gerald Williams to the Milwaukee Brewers for a player to be named later, Pat Listach, and Graeme Lloyd. The Milwaukee Brewers sent Ricky Bones (August 29, 1996) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade. Pat Listach returned to original teams on October 2, 1996.
- November 4, 1996: Clay Bellinger was signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.
- December 5, 1996: Jim Leyritz was traded by the New York Yankees to the Anaheim Angels for players to be named later. The Anaheim Angels sent Jeremy Blevins (minors) (December 9, 1996) and Ryan Kane (minors) (December 9, 1996) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.
- December 11, 1996: Mike Stanton was Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.
- January 9, 1997: Mark Whiten was Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.
- January 9, 1997: Luis Sojo was signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.
- June 16 - The first interleague game between the New York Mets and New York Yankees took place at Yankee Stadium. The Mets won the game by a score of 6-0.
- August 31: The New York Yankees retired Don Mattingly's number.
|New York Yankees||96||66||.586||2.0|
|Boston Red Sox||78||84||.481||20.0|
|Toronto Blue Jays||76||86||.469||22.0|
- June 9, 1997: Dave Weathers was traded by the New York Yankees to the Cleveland Indians for Chad Curtis.
- July 29, 1997: Mariano Duncan was traded by the New York Yankees with cash to the Toronto Blue Jays for Angel Ramirez (minors).
- August 15, 1997: Mark Whiten was Released by the New York Yankees.
|1997 New York Yankees|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
September 30, Yankee Stadium
|W: Ramiro Mendoza (1-0) L: Eric Plunk (0-1) SV: Mariano Rivera (1)|
|HR: CLE – Sandy Alomar, Jr. (1) NYY – Tino Martinez (1) Tim Raines (1) Derek Jeter (1) Paul O'Neill (1)|
October 2, Yankee Stadium
|W: Jaret Wright (1-0) L: Andy Pettitte (0-1) SV: None|
|HR: CLE – Matt Williams (1) NYY – Derek Jeter (2)|
October 4, Jacobs Field
|W: David Wells (1-0) L: Charles Nagy (0-1) SV: None|
|HR: CLE – None NYY – Paul O'Neill (2)|
October 5, Jacobs Field
|W: Mike Jackson (1-0) L: Ramiro Mendoza (1-1) SV: None|
|HR: CLE – David Justice (1) Sandy Alomar, Jr. (2) NYY – None|
October 6, Jacobs Field
|W: Jaret Wright (2-0) L: Andy Pettitte (0-2) SV: José Mesa (1)|
|HR: CLE – None NYY – None|
Awards and records
|Don Mattingly's number 23 was retired by the New York Yankees in 1997.|
- Tino Martinez, Silver Slugger award
|AAA||Columbus Clippers||International League||Stump Merrill|
|AA||Norwich Navigators||Eastern League||Trey Hillman|
|A||Tampa Yankees||Florida State League||Lee Mazzilli|
|A||Greensboro Bats||South Atlantic League||Tom Nieto|
|Short-Season A||Oneonta Yankees||New York–Penn League||Joe Arnold|
|Rookie||GCL Yankees||Gulf Coast League||Ken Dominguez|
- 1997 New York Yankees
- 1997 New York Yankees team page at www.baseball-almanac.com
|AL Wild Card
| Succeeded by|
Boston Red Sox