Ruppert Stadium (Newark)
Davids' Stadium (1926-1931)
Bear Stadium (1932-1933)
|Location||258 Wilson Avenue, Newark, New Jersey|
New York Yankees (1931-194?)
City of Newark (194?-1967)
|Construction cost||$125,000 USD;|
Newark Bears (AFL-1926)
Newark Bears (IL) (1926-1949)
Newark Stars (ECL) (1926)
Newark Eagles (NNL) (1936-1948)
Ruppert Stadium was a baseball stadium in Newark, New Jersey, in the area now known as the Ironbound. Originally named Davids' Stadium after Charles L. Davids, owner of the Newark Bears, it was home to the minor league Newark Bears of the International League from 1926 to 1949, and to the Negro League Newark Stars in 1926 and Newark Eagles from 1936 to 1948. It was also the home field of the short-lived Newark Bears of the first American Football League in 1926. The stadium was named for Jacob Ruppert, a baseball team owner who built the farm system of the New York Yankees.
- "Old Ruppert Stadium Headed for Junk Heap". Schenectady Gazette. October 17, 1952. p. 31. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- Martin, Alfred M.; Martin, Alfred T. (2008), The Negro Leagues in New Jersey: A History, Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, p. 19
Mayer, Ronald A. (1994), The 1937 Newark Bears: A Baseball Legend, Rutgers University Press,
Jacob Ruppert, owner of the New York Yankees, purchased the team from the newspaper publisher Paul Block in 1931. Mayer traces the Bears' exciting first five seasons under Ruppert and the building of a farm system that eventually produced the great Yankee...sprinkled with some of the great names of the American pastime: Ed Barrow, Paul Kritchell, Al Mamaux, Red Rolfe, Babe Ruth, Shag Shaughnessey, Bob Shawkey, and George Weiss.