|Città di Bagheria|
Fishing boats in Aspra
|• Mayor||Patrizio Cinque|
|• Total||29.68 km2 (11.46 sq mi)|
|Elevation||76 m (249 ft)|
|Population (30 April 2009)|
|• Density||1,900/km2 (4,900/sq mi)|
|Demonym||Bagheresi (Baarioti in Sicilian)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||San Giuseppe|
|Saint day||March 19|
- Etymology 1
- History 2
- Main sights 3
- Religion 4
- Culture 5
- References 6
- External links 7
According to some sources, the name Bagheria (by way of old Sicilian Baarìa) originates from the Phoenician term Bayharia meaning "land that descends toward the sea." Other sources claim that it derives from the Arabic Bāb al-Gerib, or "windy gateway." However, the most plausible explanation is that it drives from Arabic بحرية baḥrīyah, meaning 'of the sea, marine'.
Since its founding, the town has gone by the names of Bayharia, Baharia, and Baarìa. In 1658
- A. Belvedere, Il Palazzo Cutò di Bagheria (Palermo 1995)
- E.H. Neil, "Architects and architecture in 17th & 18th century Palermo," in Annali di Architettura n.7 (1995) pp.159-176.
- P.Brydone, A Tour through Sicily and Malta (London 1773)
- "Film locations for The Godfather Part 3". Movie-locations.com. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
The town is also depicted in the The Godfather Part III.
Bagheria was the birthplace of many well-known 20th century figures: poet Ignazio Buttitta, photographer Ferdinando Scianna, artists Renato Guttuso and Nino Garajo (1918—1977, Rome), and film director Giuseppe Tornatore. Tornatore portrayed his love for his town in the multiple award winning film Nuovo Cinema Paradiso in 1989 and the 2009 film Baarìa, featuring the history of the town from the 1930s to the 1980s through the life of a local family.
Although the official feast day of St. Joseph, the town's patron saint, is March 19, it is celebrated in Bagheria the first Sunday of August; religious celebrations are held throughout the week leading up to Sunday, when more solemn ceremonies are initiated; the following Monday evening festivities conclude with a fireworks display.
- The Museum of the painter Renato Guttuso with a permanent exhibition of his work is placed in Villa Cattolica. A famous collection of old sicilian toys, il Mueso di Giocattolo di Pietro Piraino, is placed in Villa Cuto.
- Other notable building include Villa Butera, Villa Valguarnera, Villa Trabia, Villa Spedalotto, Villa San Cataldo, Villa Villarosa, Villa San Marco, Villa Filangeri, Villa Sant'Isidoro, Villa Ramacca, Villa Serradifalco, Villa Larderia, Villa Campofranco.
- Villa Palagonia, renowned for its complex external staircase, curved façades, and marble. Designed by Tommaso Maria Napoli, it is today open to the public.
In the 20th and 21st centuries the Baroque and Neoclassical character of Bagheria has been largely obscured by unregulated building.
In 1769 one of the descendants of the original Prince of Butera redesigned his estate into a well planned town, allowing him to collect rents from the inhabitants. Bagheria was a preferred stopping point for Europeans pursuing the Grand Tour in Sicily including Patrick Brydone, Goethe, John Soane, K. F. Schinkel and many others.