Chancery Lane tube station
Location of Chancery Lane in Central London
|Local authority||London Borough of Camden|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|30 July 1900||Opened|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal|
- History 1
- Accidents and incidents 2
- Connections 3
- Gallery 4
- References 5
- External links 6
The station was opened by the Central London Railway (CLR) on 30 July 1900. The current station entrance is not the original. The original, disused station building is on the north side of High Holborn at Nos. 31-33, approximately 400 feet (122 m) to the west, closer to High Holborn's junction with Chancery Lane. Originally, provided with four lifts between ground and platform levels, the station was rebuilt in the early 1930s to operate with escalators. It was not possible to construct the inclined escalator shaft between the platforms and the existing entrance and so a new sub-surface ticket hall was constructed below the road junction. The new station entrance came into use on 25 June 1934. The old entrance building became redundant and, in recognition of the location of the new entrance, the station was renamed Chancery Lane (Gray's Inn), although the suffix subsequently fell out of use.
When the CLR excavated the running tunnels it routed them to avoid passing under surface buildings in order to limit the risk to surface buildings from vibration. At Chancery Lane, the tunnels are placed with the eastbound tunnel above the westbound one.
It is one of eight Underground stations with a deep-level air-raid shelter underneath it. After World War II this was turned into Kingsway telephone exchange. Access to the shelter was via the original station building and lift shaft as well as subsidiary entrances in Furnival Street and Took's Court.
Accidents and incidents
On 25 January 2003, a 1992 Stock train derailed at Chancery Lane, injuring 32 passengers, after a motor became detached from the train. All services on the entire Central line and the Waterloo & City line (which also uses 1992 Stock trains) were suspended, as the trains had to be taken out of service whilst the cause of the failure was determined and appropriate modifications made to the trains.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data.
- Rose, Douglas (1999). The London Underground, A Diagrammatic History. Douglas Rose/Capital Transport.
- Emmerson, Andrew; Tony Beard (2004). London's Secret Tubes. Capital Transport. p. 170.
- Connor, J.E. (1999). London's Disused Underground Stations. Capital Transport. p. 122.
- Clive's Underground Line Guides, Central Line, Layout
London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
- Chancery Lane, 1914
- Sub-surface ticket hall, 1934
- Subway entrance at the corner of Gray's Inn Road, 1934
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards Ealing Broadway
towards Liverpool Street