Crosby Hall, London
|Location||Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, London|
1466 (Great Hall and Parlour)
|Official name: Crosby Hall|
|Designated||24 June 1954|
The Great Hall is the only surviving part of the medieval mansion of Crosby Hall, Bishopsgate, in the City of London, which was built in 1466 by the wool merchant, Sir John Crosby. By 1483, the Duke of Gloucester, later Richard III, had acquired the Bishopsgate property from the original owner's widow. The Hall was used as one of his London homes. It was used as the setting for a scene in William Shakespeare's Richard III. In the reign of Henry VIII it belonged to Antonio Bonvisi.
In 1910, the mediaeval structure was reprieved from threatened demolition and moved stone by stone to its present site. The neo-Tudor brick additions designed by Walter Godfrey were constructed around it. The move was paid for by the Bank of India, who had purchased the Bishopsgate site to build offices.
Godfrey also added the north wing in 1925-6 as a women's university hall of residence.
Notable residents at the original site
- Richard Duke of Gloucester 1483.
- Sir Thomas More 1523-4.
- William Roper, 1547.
- Sir Walter Raleigh 1601.
- Owned by the Earl of Northampton between 1609 and 1671, and the residence of poet Mary Sidney from 1609 to 1615.
- Headquarters of the East India Company 1621-38.
- Knight, Charles. London, volume 1 (1841) pp. 317–332.