Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma
The original Dainippon Pharmaceuticals (Dainippon Seiyaku) was established in 1885 by Nagayo Sensai, a graduate of Tekijuku – the first private medical school in Japan established by Ogata Kōan. It was set up as a wholly private company invested by a number of people in Tokyo and Osaka, with the land and buildings let by the government. Technical expertise for the enterprise was provided by Shibata Shokei and Nagai Nagayoshi, who were also among the first students trained abroad at government expense.
The company started its operation in 1885 with equipment imported from Germany. The main products were tincture and other similar drugs listed in the Japanese Pharmacopoeia. Among them was Ephedrine, an anti-Asthma drug invented by Nagai. In 1893, however, Nagai left the company and the business started to make a loss. in 1898 it was acquired by Osaka Seiyaku (Osaka Pharmaceutical).
Another origin of the company is Sumitomo Pharmaceuticals, incorporated in 1984 as a subsidiary of Sumitomo Chemical (holding 77.83% of the share as of 2006). Dainippon and Sumitomo merged on October 1, 2005 to create Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma. As a result Sumitomo Chemical has 50.20% ownership in Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma as of 2011.
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma
- Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma (Japanese)
- Official website (Archive)