|Mining ghost town|
Remains of the old ore mill at Eureka
Location within the state of Colorado
|Elevation||9,862 ft (3,006 m)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||187402|
Template:Ref improve section By 1875, Eureka had a post office. The original mill was closed (reasons unknown) but to replace it, the Gold Prince Mill from Animas Forks was deconstructed and moved to the Eureka townsite to become the Sunnyside mill. In 1896, Eureka was connected to the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad via the Silverton Northern Railroad. Although the community grew steadily — not like a boomtown — it quickly declined after 1939, when the Sunnyside Mill closed for the last time. Today, the original townsite gravel roads remain, and debris litters the area. The only remaining structure is the Eureka jail, which has been restored. Foundations remain of the Sunnyside mill.
Its elevation is 9,862 feet (3,006 m).
- Full Resolution Ghost Town and Historic Site Photos by Coloradopast.com
|This Colorado state location article is a stub. You can help World Heritage Encyclopedia by expanding it.|