(See other stations in Kanagawa)
|Address in Japanese||神奈川県横浜市保土ケ谷区岩井町|
|Statistics||31,511 passengers/day (FY2008)|
|Medium bus terminal at this station|
- Lines 1
Station layout 2
- Platforms 2.1
- Adjacent stations 3
- History 4
- Passenger statistics 5
- References 6
- External links 7
The station has a single island platform serving two tracks which are jointly used by trains of both the Yokosuka Line and the Shōnan-Shinjuku Line. Trains of the Tōkaidō Main Line pass through Hodogaya Station, but do not stop.
The station is above ground, with an above-track station building. To the east side of the platform runs the Tokaido Line, which does not have a platform. On the north side there is a section of track for trains to go out of service on, as well as a place where trains from Yokohama can change directions and turn back. On the Yokohama side there is also a lineman's operating base. Because there was once a freight platform, there are two signals on the north side. When these signals are red, passenger trains must wait to depart.
|1||■Yokosuka Line||for Yokohama, Tokyo Sōbu Main Line to Chiba and Narita Airport|
|■Shōnan-Shinjuku Line||for Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Ōmiya|
|2||■Yokosuka Line||for Ōfuna, Zushi, Kamakura, Yokosuka, and Kurihama|
|Shōnan Shinjuku Line|
|Rapid: no stop|
|Special Rapid: no stop|
Hodogaya Station was opened on July 11, 1887 as a station on the Japanese Government Railways (JGR), the predecessor to the post-war Japanese National Railways (JNR). Initially for passenger operations only, freight operations began the following year. In 1930 when Yokosuka Line trains were replaced by electric multiple units, all Tōkaidō Line trains ceased to stop at the station.
Although the station was located in the town named 保土ヶ谷 (Hodogaya), originally the station was named 程ヶ谷 (Hodogaya). The station was renamed to its present name 保土ヶ谷, with no change in pronunciation, on October 1, 1931 following the petition for the renaming by the mayor of Yokohama on July 8, 1927.
All freight operations were discontinued from October 1, 1979 when the new freight line that bypassed the station opened. Operation of Yokosuka Line trains was transferred from the tracks shared by the Tōkaidō Line trains to the former freight tracks in 1980. With the privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the operational control of JR East.
In fiscal 2008, the station was used by an average of 31,511 passengers daily (boarding passengers only).
- Ishino, Tetsu et al. (eds.) (1998). 停車場変遷大事典 国鉄・JR編 [Station Transition Directory - JNR/JR] (in Japanese). Tokyo: JTB Corporation. p. 13, vol. II.
- Ministry of Railways (December 22, 1930). ]Ministry of Railways Annual Report, Fiscal Year 1929 [昭和四年度 鉄道省年報. p. 137.
- 保土ケ谷区郷土史. 1938. p. 1381.
- JR East statistics. Average number of passengers in fiscal year 2008.
- JR Hodogaya Station (Japanese)