28 January 1953|
Manhattan, New York, New York, USA
28 August 1991
New York City, New York, USA
|Education||The Choate School; New College of Florida|
Nicholas Schaffner (January 28, 1953 – August 28, 1991) was an American non-fiction author, journalist, and singer-songwriter.
Schaffner was born in Manhattan to John Schaffner, a literary agent, and the former Frances Perdita Aldington. He was the grandson of Imagist poet Hilda Doolittle, better known as "H.D." He attended the Choate School and the New College of Florida, graduating from both schools.
Schaffner had been collecting Beatles memorabilia through much of the 1960s, which directly led to his first book, The Beatles Forever, published in 1977. With its critical acceptance, he was established as an authority on the Beatles. Among initial reviews of the book, The New York Post described it as "honest, factual and highly entertaining", while Publishers Weekly said: "May well be the book for Beatlemaniacs … All-inclusive, responsible and informative …" Schaffner subsequently appeared as a commentator in a 1982 documentary about the group, titled The Compleat Beatles.
The Beatles Forever continues to be held in high regard by writers and commentators. While discussing the most recent generation of Beatles biographies in December 2013, 
Schaffner died on August 28, 1991 in New York City of an AIDS-related illness shortly after the release of Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey.
Schaffner's song cycle, Magical Kingdoms, was released in 1990. Music from the collection has been performed posthumously at tribute events at venues including New York's Lincoln Center.
- The Beatles Forever, Hardcover: Cameron House (1977). ISBN 0-8117-0225-1. Paperback: McGraw-Hill Book Company (1978). ISBN 0-07-055087-5
- The Boys from Liverpool: John, Paul, George, Ringo, Routledge Kegan & Paul (1980). ISBN 0-416-30661-6
- 505 Rock-and-Roll Questions Your Friends Can't Answer (with Elizabeth Schaffner), Walker & Co. (1981). ISBN 0-8027-0674-6
- The British Invasion: From the First Wave to the New Wave, McGraw-Hill (1982). ISBN 0-07-055089-1
- John Lennon in My Life (with Pete Shotton), Stein & Day (1983). ISBN 0-8128-2916-6
- Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey, Harmony Books (1991). ISBN 0-517-57608-2
- Kozinn, Allan (August 29, 1991). "Nicholas Schaffner, 38, Author Of Books About Rock Groups".
- Schaffner, Nicholas (1978). The Beatles Forever. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. (Critics' plaudits reproduced on back cover.)
- Caro, Mark (December 17, 2013). "New Beatles books out".
- Inglis, Ian (2010). The Words and Music of George Harrison. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger. p. 178.
- "New Yorker magazine June 19, 1995". The New Yorker magazine. Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- "Sudden Sunsets Recorded Live at Alice Tully Hall". Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- The Estate Project