Pearl of Great Price (Latter Day Saints)
The Pearl of Great Price is part of the canonical standard works of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and some other Mormon denominations.
The first paragraph of the Introductory Note in the LDS edition of the Pearl of Great Price reads:
- The Pearl of Great Price is a selection of choice materials touching many significant aspects of the faith and doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These items were produced by Joseph Smith Jr. and were published in the Church periodicals of his day.
The Pearl of Great Price contains five sections:
- Selections from the Book of Moses: Portions of the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible (JST), including the teachings and prophecies of Enoch and his testimony of Jesus Christ.
- The Book of Abraham: The book which Mormons believe Smith translated from purchased papyri, relates Abraham's journeys in Egypt, containing many distinctive Mormon doctrines such as exaltation and the plurality of gods. Considerable controversy surrounds the surviving papyri claimed as the source for the translation of the Book of Abraham.
- Joseph Smith—Matthew: Portions of the JST of the Book of Matthew
- Joseph Smith—History: A first-person narrative of Joseph Smith, Jr.'s life before the founding of the Church including an account of the First Vision and other heavenly visitations.
- The Articles of Faith: A concise listing of thirteen fundamental doctrines of Mormonism composed by Joseph Smith as part of a 1842 letter sent to "Long" John Wentworth, editor of the Chicago Democrat.
The original contents of the book were slightly different, reproducing material found in the Doctrine and Covenants and a poem entitled "Oh Say What is Truth?" (which is now found in the LDS Church hymnal). In 1878 some material from the Book of Moses was added. The Pearl of Great Price was canonized in 1880. In 1902 the material reproduced in the Doctrine and Covenants was removed. Two other documents, now found as Doctrine and Covenants 137 and 138, were added to the Pearl of Great Price in 1976 and moved to their current location in 1979.
The Pearl of Great Price was first compiled by Franklin D. Richards in Liverpool, England. Some items duplicated text that was already available in the Doctrine and Covenants. It contained the following entries (the placement of the text in today's LDS Church publications is noted in parenthesis):
- Extracts from the Prophecy of Moses 6:43–7:69)
- A message from God, given to Moses 1:1–42)
- Untitled (8:13–30)
- The Book of Abraham including Book of Abraham)
- An extract from a Joseph Smith—Matthew)
- A Key to the Revelations of Doctrine and Covenants 77)
- A Revelation and Prophecy (Doctrine and Covenants 87)
- Extracts from the History of Joseph Smith (Joseph Smith—History)
- From the Doctrine and Covenants of the Church Commandment to the Church concerning baptism (Doctrine and Covenants 20:37, 71-75)
- The duties of members after they are received by baptism (Doctrine and Covenants 20:68-69)
- Method of administering the Doctrine and Covenants 20:75–79)
- The Duties of the 20:45–59, 70, 80)
- On Doctrine and Covenants 107:1–10, 12–20)
- The Calling and Duties of the Doctrine and Covenants 107:23, 33)
- The Calling and Duties of the Doctrine and Covenants 107:34, 93–100)
- Extract from a revelation given July, 1830 (Doctrine and Covenants 27:5–18)
- Rise of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Doctrine and Covenants 20:1–36)
- Articles of Faith)
- "Truth" (a poem by LDS Church hymnal]
| has original text related to this article:
Pearl of Great Price
- The Pearl of Great Price, full HTML text, official LDS Church edition, lds.org
- Introductory note to The Pearl of Great Price, lds.org
- The Pearl of Great Price at .
- "historical notes on The Pearl of Great Price", boap.org
- Summary of the Pearl of Great Price, lightplanet.com
- Pearl of Great Price - Contents listed by edition