Politics of New York
This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Balancing the budget and same sex marriage has occupied much of the Politics of New York in the 21st century.
- Current issues 1
See also 2
- Topics 2.1
- Notes 3
- Further reading 4
Same-sex marriage was legalized in June 2011. Previously, same-sex marriages from other jurisdictions had been recognized: in May 2008, Governor David Paterson issued an affirmative that the state would recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere. In December 2009, the senate declined to pass a same-sex marriage bill, though polling earlier that year had indicated that a majority of New Yorkers supported allowing same-sex marriages to be performed in the state. Since 2004, the public pension systems of both the state and New York City allocate benefits in recognition of same-sex marriages performed outside New York. Former Governor Eliot Spitzer stated he would introduce legislation to legalize same-sex marriage. On April 27, 2007 then-Governor Spitzer unveiled such a bill.
From 1984 through 2004, no budget was passed on time. The state has a strong imbalance of payments with the federal government. New York State receives 82 cents in services for every $1 it sends to Washington in taxes. The state ranks near the bottom, in 42nd place, in federal spending per tax dollar. For decades, it has been the established practice for the state to pass legislation for some meritorious project, but then mandate county and municipal government to actually pay for it. New York State has its counties pay a higher percentage of welfare costs than any other state, and New York State is the only state which requires counties to pay a portion of Medicaid.
- Government of New York
- Elections in New York
- Electoral reform in New York
- 2009 New York State Senate leadership crisis
- C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
- Alcohol laws of New York
- New York divorce law
- Gun laws in New York
- New York energy law
- LGBT rights in New York
- Capital punishment in New York
- Rent control in New York
- Wiessner, Dan (June 25, 2011). "New York governor signs law approving gay marriage". Reuters.
- Bases, Daniel (June 23, 2009). "New Yorkers supportive of gay marriage: poll". Reuters.
- Feldman, Daniel L.; Benjamin, Gerald (2010). Tales from the Sausage Factory: Making Laws in New York State.
- Pecorella, Robert F.; Stonecash, Jeffrey M. (2012). Governing New York State (6th ed.).
- Zimmerman, Joseph F. (2008). The Government and Politics of New York State (2nd ed.).