Location in Latvia
|• Mayor||Vilnis Špats|
|• Total||5 km2 (2 sq mi)|
|• Rural territory||180.4 km2 (69.7 sq mi)|
|• Density||671.2/km2 (1,738/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Calling code||+371 648|
|Number of city council members||9|
Cesvaine (Cesvaine Palace, built in 1896 near the ruins of previous medieval castles.
Territory of modern Cesvaine before the Livonian Crusade in 13th century was part of the Principality of Jersika and was inhabited by ancient Latgalians. It is first mentioned in the written sources in 1209 (Latin: Urbs Zcessowe) in the treaty between bishop Albert of Riga and Visvaldis of Jersika. In 1211 Bishopric of Riga and Livonian Brothers of Sword partitioned lands of Jersika between themselves. Territory of Cesvaine fell in the part of Swordbrothers however in 1213 some of the lands was exchanged and Cesvaine became property of Bishop of Riga.
In the beginning of 15th century stone castle was built in Cesvaine and settlement started to grow. In the end of the 16th century there were already 80 houses in Cesvaine. During Livonian War in 1577 defenders of Cesvaine castle refused to surrender so Russian tsar Ivan the Terrible ordered to destroy the castle and whole town. After the war in 1582 Cesvaine became part of Duchy of Livonia.
New period in the history of Cesvaine started in the 1815 when settlement and nearby lands was bought by baron von Wulf. Cesvaine became centre of the manor and rapid development started in the second half of 19th century.
Roman Catholic church in Cesvaine
Monument to victims of Soviet repressions in Cesvaine
Born in the city
- Jakob Lenz (1751–1792), writer