The area is a largely hilly terrain, mostly downwind from Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes, along the Eastern Continental Divide between the Great Lakes, the Mississippi River and Susquehanna River watersheds. The result of this is that through orographic lift, a significant amount of lake effect snow falls there during the months of November, December and January.
The portion of ski country in Western New York is defined by a geologic formation known as the Chautauqua Ridge.
As the name implies, the area is particularly popular with skiers, and there are several ski resorts that stretch from Pennsylvania into Central New York. The local ski resorts primarily offer alpine skiing while the numerous state parks use their hiking trails for cross-country skiing.
- See also: List of ski areas and resorts
- Mountain View at Edinboro - in Edinboro, Pennsylvania
- Ski Denton - in Coudersport, Pennsylvania (slightly outside the general definition of ski country)
- New York
- Brantling Ski Slopes - in Sodus, New York
- Bristol Mountain - in South Bristol, New York (also offers Nordic skiing)
- Buffalo Ski Club - in Colden
- Cockaigne Ski Resort - in Cherry Creek (town), New York (no longer in operation)
- Dry Hill Ski Area - in Watertown, New York
- Greek Peak - in Virgil, New York near the city of Cortland
- Holiday Valley - in Ellicottville (town), New York
- Holimont - in Ellicottville (also offers Nordic skiing)
- Concord Ski Club - in Ellicottville (closed 1991)
- Kissing Bridge - in Glenwood, New York within the town of Colden
- Labrador Mountain - in Truxton, New York
- Mount Hermanns - in Olean, was the first ski resort in the area and was established in the 1930s. It closed after several decades of operation due to competition from other, newer resorts in the area.
- Peek'n Peak - in Clymer, New York
- Snow Ridge Ski Resort - in Turin, New York
- Swain Ski Resort - in Grove, New York
- Toggenburg Mountain - in Fabius, New York
- Art Roscoe Ski Area at Allegany State Park in Red House, New York
- Keuka Lake State Park in Jerusalem, New York
- Letchworth State Park in Livingston County, New York
- Long Point State Park on Lake Chautauqua near Maple Springs, New York
- Clark, Bob (March 24, 2013).Remember when ... Olean was Ski City? Olean Times Herald. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- New York State's ski portal