St. Nicholas Park
Saint Nicholas Park is a New York City public park located in Harlem at the intersection of Manhattan neighborhoods Hamilton Heights and Manhattanville. The nearly 23-acre (93,000 m2) park is contained by 141st Street to the north, 128th Street to the south, St. Nicholas Terrace to the west, and St. Nicholas Avenue to the east.
The park was created in 1895, when the first land for the park was acquired upon the condemnation of the Croton Aqueduct. After additional property was acquired, construction on the park began in 1906. Like the streets on its eastern and western borders, the park was named after St. Nicholas, the patron saint of Amsterdam whose likeness adorned one of the ships that brought the first Dutch settlers to New Amsterdam. Parks Commissioner Samuel Parsons designed the park himself. The park next expanded in 1909, when the park's southern boundary was extended to 128th Street. In 1931, a playground opened along 129th Street. A new playground was erected on this site in 1965. Alexander Hamilton's Historic farmhouse, the Hamilton Grange, was moved in 2008 to the north side of St. Nicholas Park, to face 141st Street.
Much of City College of New York's campus, including the famous Shepard Hall, is located just across St. Nicholas Terrace. The wooded park features basketball courts, playgrounds, handball courts, a dog park, and New York City Department of Parks and Recreation-designated barbecue areas. Other attractions include large Manhattan schist outcrops, and monarch butterflies that cover the butterfly bushes at migration time.
In popular culture
- The Mend: SXSW Review. The Hollywood Reporter, March 15, 2014
- Information about St. Nicholas Park at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation website
- Friends of St. Nicholas Park