St Leonard, Foster Lane
|St Leonard, Foster Lane|
Ruins of St. Leonard's
|Denomination||Roman Catholic, Anglican|
St Leonard, Foster Lane, was a church of England church dedicated to St Leonard on the west side of Foster Lane in the Aldersgate ward of the City of London. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and not rebuilt.
This church originally belonged to the College of St Martin-le-Grand. It was founded in the 13th century by the dean and canons of St. Martin's, to serve the inhabitants of the precinct, who had previously worshipped at the altar of St Leonard in the collegiate church. The building, which was small, stood in the courtyard of the collegiate church, on the west side of Foster Lane.
There is a record of a new window being installed in the chancel in 1533. In 1579, the existing graveyard, being too small was leased out, and a new one laid out on an area of the precinct previously known as the "Dean's Garden" leased by the churchwarden and parishioners for a term of 61 years. The building was repaired and enlarged in 1631, at a cost of more than £500.
St Leonard's was largely destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and not rebuilt. the parish instead being united to that of Christ Church, Newgate Street, and the site used as a graveyard. Some ruins of the church remained, however, until the early 19th century, when they were finally cleared  to make way for the new buildings of the General Post Office.
Its former burial ground now forms part of Postman's Park.
Notes and references
- British history on-line
- Visions of Britain
- Old Bailey proceedings
- Parish mouse
- 1871 census
|This article about a London building or structure is a stub. You can help World Heritage Encyclopedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help World Heritage Encyclopedia by expanding it.|