Staunton State Park
|Staunton State Park|
|Location||Park & Jefferson counties, Colorado, USA|
|Nearest city||Conifer, CO|
|Area||3,652 acres (1,478 ha)|
|Governing body||Colorado Parks and Wildlife|
Staunton State Park is a Colorado state park in Park and Jefferson counties, located 6 miles (9.7 km) west of Conifer, Colorado. The 3,828-acre (1,549 ha) park, which opened on May 18, 2013, includes dramatic rock outcroppings, several streams and a waterfall. On December 4, 2012, the property was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Staunton Ranch-Rural Historic Landscape.
The park was created out of a gift by Francis H. Staunton, who donated the original 1,720 acres to the State of Colorado. Ms. Staunton required the land "be preserved in perpetuity, for public benefit, as a natural wilderness-type park... typifying Colorado's most beautiful mountain forest and meadow region". Since 1986, the State of Colorado acquired additional lands through the Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) lottery proceeds. These include the Elk Falls Ranch, portions of the Davis Ranch, and property once owned by playwright Mary Coyle Chase. The Staunton Ranch was added to the National Register of Historic Places for exemplifying a pattern of homesteading, ranching, and use as a summer resort. It is also considered notable for its rustic architecture and for containing the area's only sawmill.
The park's recreational offerings include rock climbing, multi-use trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding, stream and pond fishing, and picnicking.
- "Staunton State Park". Colorado Parks & Wildlife. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "Friends of Staunton State Park". Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "Park County". History Colorado. Retrieved 2013-12-27.
- "History of Staunton State Park". Colorado Parks & Wildlife. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "From Private Property to New Colorado State Park, Opens May 18th". The Pagosa Springs Journal. Retrieved 2013-12-27.
- "Activities at Staunton State Park". Colorado Parks & Wildlife. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- Staunton State Park Colorado Parks & Wildlife
- Friends of Staunton State Park