Sustained Spheromak Physics Experiment
A spheromak device produces a plasma in magnetohydrodynamic equilibrium mainly through self-induced plasma currents, as opposed to a tokamak device which depends on large externally generated magnetic fields. The series of experiments examines the potential for a spheromak device to contain fusion fuel. According to a 1999 abstract,
- The Sustained Spheromak Physics Experiment, SSPX , will study spheromak physics with particular attention to energy confinement and magnetic fluctuations in a spheromak sustained by electrostatic helicity injection.
- Sustained Spheromak Physics Experiment - SSPX MFEScience. 2008-03-27.
- Experiment mimics nature's way with plasmas LLNL. 2008-03-27.
- (ICP/04) Sustained Spheromak Physics Experiment IAEA. 2008-03-27.
- Science@Livermore - Press release
- Fusion Energy Program publications
- The Sustained Spheromak Physics Experiment: A Short Overview
- Investigations of Spheromak plasma dynamicsRomero-Talamas, , Ph.D. thesis
- Spheromak formation and sustainment studiesRomero-Talamas,
- Large-amplitude electron densityWang,
- Sustained Spheromak Physics ExperimentHooper,