Thioketones (also known as thiones or thiocarbonyls) are ketones. Instead of the formula R2C=O, thioketones have the formula R2C=S, which is reflected by the prefix "thio-" in the name of the functional group. Unhindered alkylthioketones typically tend to form polymers or rings.
- Preparative methods 1
- Thiobenzophenone and selenobenzophenone, the prototypes 2
- See also 3
- References 4
- External links 5
Thiones are usually prepared from ketones using reagents that exchange S and O atoms. A common reagent is phosphorus pentasulfide and its derivative Lawesson's reagent. Other methods uses a mixture of hydrogen chloride combined with hydrogen sulfide. Bis(trimethylsilyl)sulfide has also been employed.
Thiobenzophenone and selenobenzophenone, the prototypes
benzophenone and sulfur. Since its discovery, a variety of related thiones have been prepared. Selenketones, the selenium versions of the thioketones, are more reactive than thiones. Selenobenzophenone reversibly dimerizes. It is known to undergo cycloaddition with 1,3-dienes in a reaction similar to the Diels-Alder reaction.
- Kroto, H.; Landsberg, B. M.; Suffolk, R. J.; Vodden, A. (1974). "The photoelectron and microwave spectra of the unstable species thioacetaldehyde, CH3CHS, and thioacetone, (CH3)2CS". Chemical Physics Letters 29 (2): 265–269.
- Vivek Polshettiwar, M.P. Kaushik "A new, efficient and simple method for the thionation of ketones to thioketones using P4S10/Al2O3" Tetrahedron Letters 2004, Volume 45, 6255-6257. doi:10.1016/j.tetlet.2004.06.091
- Mcgregor, W. M.; Sherrington, D. C. (1993). "Some recent synthetic routes to thioketones and thioaldehydes". Chemical Society Reviews 22 (3): 199.
- Okazaki, R.; Tokitoh, N. (2000). "Heavy ketones, the heavier element congeners of a ketone". Accounts of chemical research 33 (9): 625–630.
- Erker, G.; Hock, R.; Krüger, C.; Werner, S.; Klärner, F. G.; Artschwager-Perl, U. (1990). "Synthesis and Cycloadditions of Monomeric Selenobenzophenone". Angewandte Chemie International Edition in English 29 (9): 1067.
- Definition of Thioketones in the IUPAC Gold Book
- Definition of Selones in the IUPAC Gold Book