Wendy McElroy speaking in Springfield, Illinois, September 16, 2006.
1951 (age 64–65)
Wendy McElroy (born 1951) is a Canadian The Voluntaryist magazine in 1982.
Political views 1
- Sex and Feminism 1.1
- Capitalism and government 1.2
- Whistleblowing 1.3
- Books 2
- See also 3
- References 4
- External links 5
Sex and Feminism
Among feminists, McElroy identifies herself as being sex-positive, defending the availability of pornography and condemning anti-pornography feminism campaigns. Citing prior work by Greg Lukianoff, she has also voiced criticism of sexual harassment policies, particularly grade-school zero-tolerance policies - which she considers to be "far too broad and vague" and based on "biased reports".
Capitalism and government
In explaining her position in regard to capitalism, McElroy says she has a "marked personal preference for capitalism as the most productive, fair and sensible economic system on the face of the earth," but recognizes that the free market also enables other economic systems. She says what she wants for society is "not necessarily a capitalistic arrangement but a free market system in which everyone can make the peaceful choices they wish with their own bodies and labor", and therefore describes herself as a supporter of free market economics.
She credits Murray Rothbard's book Man, Economy, and State: A Treatise on Economic Principles as being "solely responsible for turning [her] from the advocacy of limited government to a lifetime of work within the individualist-anarchist tradition."
- National Identification Systems: Essays in Opposition, by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2004 ISBN 0-7864-1595-9
- Debates of Liberty: An Overview of Individualist Anarchism, 1881–1908, February 1, 2003 ISBN 0-7391-0473-X
- Sexual Correctness: The Gender-Feminist Attack on Women, June 2001
- Dissenting Electorate: Those Who Refuse to Vote and the Legitimacy of Their Opposition by Carl Watner, Wendy McElroy, January 1, 2001
- Individualist Feminism of the Nineteenth Century: Collected Writings and Biographical Profiles, January 1, 2001
- Queen Silver: The Godless Girl (Women's Studies (Amherst, N.Y.) by Wendy McElroy, Queen Selections Silver, December 1, 1999 – about her friend Queen Selections Silver. Silver was a left-wing anarchist, but despite vigorous political difference, the two remained close.
- Freedom, Feminism, and the State by Wendy McElroy, Lewis Perry, February 1, 1999
- The Reasonable Woman: A Guide to Intellectual Survival, April 1, 1998
- XXX: A Woman's Right to Pornography by Wendy McElroy, Prelude Pr, 1995, ISBN 0-312-13626-9
- Liberty, 1881–1908: A Comprehensive Index, January 1982
- McElroy, Wendy. "Rothbard as System-Builder: A Tribute". Liberty Magazine.
- Home Page
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Mises.org archive
- LewRockwell.com archive
- Fox News site articles by McElroy
- The Intellectual ConservativeMcElroy columns on
- An interview with Wendy McElroy
- FEE Authors: Wendy McElroy