White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy
The White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy was a new government entity in the United States created in 2008 by President Barack Obama by Executive Order, by-passing Congress, that existed for a little over two years when it was combined with another presidential office in April 2011. The office was created in order to coordinate administration policy on energy and climate change.
The office was created in December 2008. Its first director was Carol Browner, who was Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency for the eight years of the Bill Clinton administration.
Energy and climate change policy of the Barack Obama administration
President Obama launched the Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate Change, to facilitate candid dialogue among key developed and developing countries regarding efforts to advance clean energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. For the new forum, President Obama invited the leaders of 16 major economies and the Secretary General of the United Nations to designate representatives to participate in a preparatory session at the U.S. Department of State that occurred on April 27–28 in Washington, D.C. This and other preparatory sessions culminated in a 17-nation MEF meeting, as part of the 35th G8 summit which Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi agreed to host in La Maddalena, Italy in July 2009. The G8 summit was subsequently moved to L'Aquila, Italy, as part of an attempt to redistribute disaster funds after the 2009 L'Aquila earthquake. The forum took place on July 9, 2009.
Elimination of Office
In April 2011 it was reported that Congress would no longer fund the office in the 2011 budget. On March 2 the White House announced that the climate and energy work done by the office would move under the umbrella of the Domestic Policy Council, thereby eliminating it as a standing White House Office.
- Americas Energy and Climate Symposium
- Climate change policy of the United States
- Foreign policy of the Barack Obama administration
- Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate Change
- Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Action
- "President-elect Barack Obama announces key members of energy and environment team" (Press release).
- "President Obama Launches an International Climate Forum". EERE Network News.
- Hooper, John (April 23). "Silvio Berlusconi wants G8 to be in earthquake-stricken city of L'Aquila".
- Bravender, Robin (March 3). "Budget deal axes ‘czars’ already gone".
- Sheppard, Kate (April 4). "Browner’s Out at White House".
- White House Executive Office of the President list of offices